Saturday, November 13, 2010

Glass pt.2

I've been given more thought to my Glass project (link) although it's something that is in the process of exploring I still find images from time to time.


 I was reading some material set my John Atkin, 'Photography and Sociology - by Howard S. Becker'. When I found this exert of interest.

"To be sure, something real has to emit light rays in order to produce an image on film or paper, and whatever is real that is emitting light rays where they can go through the lens will make some kind of image" 

But my question is what do we see, and how do we know it is real? Photography has always been the silent witness, never falters in recording what it sees. But do we see? to repeat the ever famous John Berger quote;

"The relation between what we see and what we know is never settled"


My question then extends to the thought of 'memory' contained within an object, do we see that for examples bricks composed of sand, rock compressed hold onto water, humidity, carbon, bacteria. I always find myself stopping and thinking of time. How many people have stepped on this stone, who lived in this house before me. I have a keen bent towards history and enjoy discovering elements of the past, trying to feel the empathy of those who lived before me. This is something that I will be following up in another piece of course work, in the form a photo essay. I'll post the final draft as a blog once it's completed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment